If I have to mention two foods I love the most, I would say oatmeal and Khichdi.
They are easy on the stomach, super nutritious and are delicious.
The recipe for my customized Khichdi is on the waiting list and I will post that soon. For now, lets start with the super comfort food, Oatmeal.
Before I jump into the recipe, I would like to share some quick facts about oats .
- Oats are a whole-grain cereal and are among the healthiest grains on the earth
- They are a good source of fiber, good quality protein and unsaturated fats
- One variety of oats, Steel cut oats have less glycemic index than its other kinds.
- Oatmeal is a well balanced breakfast
For me, experimenting with Oats is a passion as they provide endless possibilities. It is like filling a blank white paper with myriad of colors. Today, I will share one variety that I make frequently as my family loves this including my three year old son!!
- Flax Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Fruits of your choice
- Nuts of your Choice
- Honey/Maple Syrup
- Coconut (Optional)
- Raisins/Mejdool dates
- Pumpkin Seeds/ Sunflower Seeds
1.Cook the oats based on their type. If I use Steel cut oats, I soak them overnight. Else, it takes about 10 mins on stove top.
2. Once cooked, add enough quantity to your bowl and start adding colorful fruits of your choice .
I usually add strawberries, blueberries and banana
3.Then add nuts of your choice. I add walnuts, almonds and green raisins or Dates
4.Sprinkle soaked chia seeds , flax seed powder and dry coconut
5.Pour honey as needed
Don't forget to read the notes below to see the variations of what I do
- In the above picture, I added Activated Superfood that I got in Whole Foods which is high in Omega 3's and 6's
- We usually have an avocado , Flax milk or Greek Yogurt on the side with oatmeal
- I add less or no honey for my family most of the time because Raisins/Dates have enough sugar in them
- For a change, I sometimes cook strawberries(Mangoes in Summer) over low heat with coconut sugar and lemon and pour this mixture over oatmeal
- Adding Vanilla extract/ Orange Extract gives a different feel to the oatmeal
- Make sure you get everything Organic as much as possible
- Oats contain Manganese, fiber, Iron, Vitamin B1 and B5,Folate and many antioxidants
- Fruits are packed with many vitamins, minerals and photo nutrients and everyone should have three to four servings of fruit everyday. They help the human body to be fit, help it rejuvenate and disease-free.
- Nuts and seeds are rich in energy, protein, packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and much discussed omega-3 fatty acids
- They have good fats that are good for heart and do not increase the waist line
Do try this and let me know what you feel through your comments below.
Stay tuned to know the "skin benefits" of Oatmeal in my next post!